Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mapping The Multiverse


There's an interesting piece at New Scientist about "Mapping The Multiverse".

The idea that our universe is but one of perhaps an infinite number of realities goes back decades. Indeed, the idea that concept was an outgrowth of the one-two physics punch of Relativity and Quantum theories. Until recently, the possibility of parallel universes were seen as mathematical oddities, things that had a slim chance of existing but probably did not because they very notion was just too crazy, too messy.

Prior to starting this post, I debated whether to write about parallel universes, or the opposite of the placebo effect, the "nocebo" effect, in which people who believe they're sick and dying really do get sick and die. I chose to write about parallel universes. But if we are embedded in a much deeper multiverse, there's a place where I chose to write about the nocebo effect; and also, a place where I chose to write about robotic teachers in Japan; and a place where I wrote about ...

However, with the rise of Superstring Theory, physicists are growing increasingly convinced that these "other realities" actually exist. Says Brian Green, string theorist and author of the bestselling book The Elegant Universe: "I have personally undergone a sort of transformation, where I am very warm to this possibility of there being many universes, and that we are in the one where we can survive."

What's more, physicists are preparing to ... well, perhaps not map other universes, but at least determine their properties mathematically.

So, while you're enjoying the article, I'm off to run some errands. While I'm out, I plan to have lunch at Subway -

- McDonalds ...

- Arby's ...

-

No comments: